Tuesday 21 August 2018

Fearfully and wonderfully made?

I don't know about you,but when I ponder upon Psalm 139.14 which reads;

I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; And that my soul knoweth right well.

I look upon my frame (weak as it is!) but nevertheless consider how marvelous I am! The Bible says that I am created in the image of God Gen.1.27, that settles the matter! I marvel at the things that I do, insignificant that many think them to be, how fragile my body is, yet contrariwise is strong, I cut and bruise, yet surely mend, I eat and digest, plan and execute, talk, see, hear, think, smell, hurt, love, feel, laugh, cry, walk, run, and many other things beside. All these functions are considered by the masses to be ordinary; talk about taking things for granted! what an ungrateful bunch we all are? why is this? The Psalmist considered his frame, he knew the truth; the feeling expressed in his words is no shallow sentiment, they should sink deep down into our innermost being! Yet, sadly, many will dismiss all of this and believe that we are not created, that there is no God, that our very existence is but a cosmic accident! How can all this be? yet it is so. There is a natural enmity against the Creator, without the miraculous agency of His Holy Spirit none could be born again, and yet the Bible says, For the invisible things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse. Rom. 1.20, the RV renders understood as perceived. Is this not true? I remember in my unregenerate days always feeling guilty when doing wrong, my conscience always 'told' me! I couldn't figure this conscience of mine out, why it was there. I always felt like I was being watched, (how true!) But as time went on it spoke less and less to me, I hardened my heart, you might say, I seared my conscience as the apostle says elsewhere, and by God's grace alone many years later, I heard His voice! I knew that I had offended my maker.

Adam was the first man, since he was made I don't know how many souls have been born, still born, miscarried, aborted, died in infancy, through accident, murdered, lived to a ripe old age, or whatever, but what I do know is that God, when He made Adam, he was a perfect microcosm for what became the macrocosm, for if God knows the number of the hairs on our head, how could it be otherwise? We are all numbered, there is a book of life with names in it, only God knows the number of names, and the identities thereof. It is only when a man studies God's word does he realise just how great He is, and if Christ doesn't increase in us with every passing day, examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith. 2 Cor. 13.5.

As fearfully and wonderfully made we now are, the words "you ain't seen nothing yet!" came to my mind, for the Saviour said in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. Matt. 22.30! Can you imagine this? really we can't, it is too high, for the apostle said, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him. 1 Cor. 2.9!



No comments:

Post a Comment